October means one thing, Postseason Baseball. It’s that time of year where legends are made on the field while fans pour over stats using their favorite baseball apps to see if their team will take a spot in the World Series this year. This year we’ve got four powerhouse teams remaining, duking it out for a chance at baseball immortality. Will there be major comebacks or record breaking performances this year? Here are some cool facts about the MLB Postseason thus far:
- The Dodgers took a 2-0 series lead in the NLCS last night after Justin Turner hit a 3-run walk-off home run to defeat the Cubs, 4-1. Turner’s home run was the 2nd walk-off homer in Dodgers’ playoff history and ironically it came on the 29th anniversary of the organization’s first walk-off playoff home run. The first walk-off playoff home run was the 2-run homer by Kirk Gibson in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series.
- Teams that take a 2-0 lead in the NLCS have gone on to advance to the World Series 91% of the time. Do you think the Dodgers are a sure bet for the World Series this year?
- Only two teams have come back to advance to the World Series after being down 0-2 in the NLCS:
- 1985 Cardinals – won 4 games after being down 0-2 to the Dodgers
- 1984 Padres – won 3 straight after being down 0-2 to the Cubs (best-of-5 series)
The ALCS returns tonight with Game 3 at Yankee Stadium and the Astros up 2-0. Do you think the Yankees can make a comeback from their 0-2 deficit? The Yankees were able to come back to win the AL Division Series after being down 0-2 to the Indians.
- Only two teams in baseball history have come back from two 0-2 deficits in the same Postseason:
- 1985 Royals – won 3 of last 4 games against Blue Jays in ALCS and won 4 of last 5 games against Cardinals in World Series
- 1981 Dodgers – won 3 straight against Astros in Division Series and won 4 straight against Yankees in World Series
Numbers can only take us so far. As fans, all we can do is watch and hope that our team can pull through with a W. Now that you’ve seen the stats, who do you think will claim a spot in the World Series? Both the Dodgers and Astros are currently up 2-0, but do you think they will continue to dominate or will the Cubs and Yankees defy the odds and add their names to the record books? Don’t forget, Lids has all the official Postseason gear to help you cheer on your team all the way to the World Series. Check out the newest MLB gear here.